Sunday 14 November 2010

Sonic Death Monkey Retro Shower Gel

On the seventh week of Christmas LUSH limited gave to me......
7 Sonic Death Monkeys
6 Bearded Ladies
5 CHRISTMAAAAS EEEEEEEEEVES
4 Ghost shower gels
3 Hottie bars
2 Halloween specials
and a Snow Fairy lip and cheek tint

Sonic Death Monkey
Requested by and dedicated to Francesca Nguyen
Price: £4.95/100g; £17.50/500g
Product category: Shower gel
Contains: Ground coffee is deeply aromatic and is soothing on the skin; Cocoa and hibiscus infusion for its soothing, softening and moisturising properties; Water; Fresh organic lime juice for its cleansing action on the skin and refreshing invigorating fragrance; Organic hemp oil is calming on the skin and is said to balance the emotions; Tangerine oil improves the condition of the skin and has an uplifting aroma; Sweet orange oil for its antiseptic and toning qualities and mood lifting aroma; Vanilla absolute creates a barrier on the skin which prevents moisture loss and of course for its sweet, comforting and reassuring scent.


Other interesting facts:
·    The name of this product was inspired by the film High Fidelity, in which Jack Black’s character was the lead singer in a band called Sonic Death Monkey.  





WARNING VIDEO CLIP CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE NOT SUITABLE FOR YOUNG VIEWERS

 
·  Arabica coffee is considered to be the best quality coffee and is mostly grown in South America.
·  Sonic Death Monkey contains water, not that interesting right??? Wrong! LUSH use water in some of their products, as it is absorbed by the skin and travels to the deeper layers. By blending water with emollient ingredients, such as cocoa, softens the upper layers of the skin and stops water from escaping out again. This creates a softening cleansing action   on the skin, clever hey!
·  Hundreds of years ago sailors who had contracted scurvy (caused by severe vitamin c deficiency), discovered that drinking lime juice could cure this disease.
·  Hemp is well known to be illegally cultivated for marijuana. However it has many properties for the skin and hair and has been used since ancient times in India, China and Egypt for:
-          Balancing hormones
-          Digestive problems
-          Rheumatism
-          Promoting hair growth
-          And healing (in Chinese and Indian medicines)

Verdict: Was anyone else hoping Sexy Boy massage bar (Christmas range 2009) would make a return this year??? Not to worry you can enjoy a chocolate, lime scented experience all year round with LUSH’s retro shower gel Sonic Death Monkey :)
I have to say this is my favourite shower product that LUSH do, so I was very happy to review this product requested by the lovely Francesca (genius idea hun).
LUSH describe Sonic Death Monkey as their ‘choco-mocha and lime flavoured shower gel to get your day off to a lip smacking start’. I doubt I could describe this any better than that to be honest but I’ll have a go. In the bottle the deep earthy scent of hemp plays quite a large role, but you can still detects the citrus juice/oils, chocolate and subtle coffee aromas. However when you use this product in the bath/shower the scent really comes alive. It reminds me of a combination of those chocolate lime sweets, orange chocolate and mocha coffees. It’s seriously delicious. You won’t detect any artificial chocolate scents like in some ‘chocolate scented’ products on the market, it’s a real, deep, high quality coco scent. The zingy citrus scents also really come alive and seriously uplift and refresh you and you get a perky shot of coffee to start the day off well. If you can bear to share this (personally mine gets hidden), Sonic Death Monkey if most definitely a unisex scent. So great for dads, brothers, boyfriends, husbands etc too.
Onto the consistency, I seem to remember this being much thicker when it was in LUSH’s regular range and sold in the shops. However now it has gone Retro, it is one of LUSH’s runnier shower gels, so little word of warning DON’T SQUEEZE THE BOTTLE TOO HARD! Otherwise you’ll end up waving goodbye to half of it down the plug hole. Despite its thinner consistency a little definitely goes a long way. Also while we’re talking about consistency, make sure you give the bottle a good shake before use as it can separate slightly in the bottle. Sonic Death Monkey is creamy deep brown (sort of like gravy or melted chocolate) in colour. OK so not the nicest of colours but in keeping with the coco-mocha theme.
Sonic Death Monkey lathers really well on the skin and even better if you use with a shower poof or sponge.  It’s a lovely rich lather that combined with the scent makes using this product a luxurious experience. The combination of wonderful ingredients leaves the skin beautifully soft, moisturised and supple. The scent isn’t particularly strong on the skin once you’ve dried off, but rather a subtly sweet comforting scent remains. I have to mention, that as well as being a gorgeous shower gel, Sonic Death Monkey is also fabulous for the hair. It contains hemp which is known to help promote healthy hair growth and soothes the scalp and lime juice to refresh the scalp, cleanse the hair and add shine. I’ve used this a few times as a shampoo and it leaves the hair seriously soft and smooth not to mention smelling great all day!
There’s only one slight negative regarding this product. It’s only available in 100g and 500g bottles which makes the price range a huge leap. It’s also LUSH’s most expensive shower gel since going to Retro setting you back nearly £5 for 100g and £17.50 for 500g. Personally I can’t justify spending nearly £20 on a bottle of shower gel, so I go for the 100g bottle and use as a treat. I wish LUSH would release this little lovely in 250g bottles so I could afford to get more, but I think I appreciate its loveliness even more because I only use it now and then.
I have to say that Sonic Death Monkey is my ultimate favourite in shower experience. It’s both invigorating and comforting and a great way to start the day. Yes LUSH I dig you’re crazy gravy!!!

You're comments and questions are always welcomed. Pease 'folllow' my blog so you can interact with my posts.
If you haven't done so all ready please cheack out my youtube channel and subscribe if you like my LUSH vids :)

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Sarah! You must have read my mind...I was just looking at Sonic Death Monkey on the website yesterday and wondering about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horay for Sonic Death Monkey! I especially love how you managed to get a clip of Jack Black in there (he's one of my secret yet slightly bizarre crushes). lol.
    Oh Sarah i do love your Christmas countdown it makes me feel like a big kid :-)
    well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. like melissa said she was looking at it on the website yesterday so was i didnt know weather to get it or not because ive not heard much about it. but you have just made up my mind im off to the website now to order one :) keep up the very good work on your blog its fantastic xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay I'm finally a follower.

    My local store is having a retro party soon, I'll ask them to get some of this in so I can try it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the lovely feedback :) Was starting to worry people were losing interest in the blog due to lack of comments. SDM is a stunning product, i hope you all enjoy it. Please leave me feedback when you've tried it, i'd love to hear your thoughts x

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this review
    i have been tempted for a while to buy this but the price put me off to be honest but after reading this i may buy a small bottle since my boyfriend loves high fidelity it will be a treat for him.

    one more question Sarah , when are lush going to hire you lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite review so far. Lots of detail and interesting facts and some good advise chucked in too.
    Like others I've looked at this a few times and wondered about it but never chose to buy it, but I may well have to get some now - would you please stop making my wish list bigger!!! X)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no-now I have yet another 'must try' product to add to my online basket ( which I probably won't be able to process til after Christmas now!)I agree, a 250g which would probably cost around £10 I'm guessing, would make a happy medium. Love coffee scented anything so will def be buying this ay some point. Thankyoouuuu xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kinkerbelle lol I don't know in what capacity LUSH could hire me with my 'broken' back :)

    @Kerry sorry for making your wish list longer hehe. You're cocktails have taken many a penny out of my bank too ;) I think it's great doing Retro reviews as people are often put off that they can't smell the product/ get a feeling of the effects before they buy.

    @Katherine The coffee scent isn't really in your face, the main scent is chocolate lime with a subtle mochachino scent.

    I'm so pleased you're all enjoying the reviews. I really enjoy doing them as it stops me going stir crazy while i'm on my long road to recovery. I'm not the sort of person who enjoys not working and sitting on my backside, so this kind of gives me a sense of purpose and focus.
    I LOVE getting feedback from you guys, so keep the comments and questions coming xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. best review ever! (after colored hair review of course)
    very interesting, detailled and makes me want to try it! :)
    absolutely LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails