Sunday 26 September 2010

LUSH review- Products for coloured/dry/heatdamged hair- Part 1

Requested by Elodie Schneider
I’m guilty of loving ALL of LUSH’s hair products and have tried the majority of them (all but 3 incl. retro). This review however concentrates on products that are great for keeping coloured, heat damaged and dry/frizzy hair in great condition. Unfortunately I have to admit I chemically dye my hair (I had a bed experience with henna, but will try again soon) and also use my GHD’s often, so my hair needs all the help it can get.
All of the products I am about to review apart from Reincarnate (designed for dark hair) are suitable for any coloured hair, and are great if like me your hair is in need of some TLC.
For Blondes you might also want to try;
The Blonde (solid shampoo); Marilyn (hair treatment); Ibiza Party (liquid shampoo retro) and Antiphilitron (liquid shampoo retro); to keep you blonde locks bright and light.

SHAMPOOS
Rehab
Product category: Hair care, liquid shampoo
Price: £4.50/110g, £8.95/250g or £14.50/500g
Contains: Freshly juiced papaya and fresh pineapple, kiwi and mango juices break down dirt, cleanse, add shine and combat grease; Fine sea salt adds volume and shine to the hair while softening the scalp; Organic cold pressed jojoba oil protects moisture loss and improves the condition of dry/damaged hair; Organic extra virgin olive oil strengthens hair and gently treats the scalp; Almond oil softens the hair follicles and entire hair shaft while adding shine; Lavender oil (relaxing and soothing);Peppermint oil (cooling and invigorating); Rosemary oil soothes irritated scalps; and finally Juniper berry oil cleanses the scalp, balances oils and improves condition of hair.
Verdict: LUSH has definitely got it spot on with this one. It has a fruity/menthol scent that is guaranteed to invigorate you and sweep any cobwebs away. The beautiful and well thought out oils, and fresh ingredients really cleanse, strengthen, soften and detox the hair. It’s also great at soothing and treating the scalp. Rehab leaves you with healthier, more manageable, beautifully soft and shiny hair.  It’s a must for hair that needs some serious TLC. I use mine twice a week with Retread or Coolaulin for a really moisture rich treat for my hair.

DaddyO
Product category: Hair care, liquid shampoo
Price: £4.30/100g, £8.60/250g or £13.85/500g
Contains: Fresh organic lemon and toothed wrack seaweed infusion gives the hair body, lustre and shine while conditioning and softening the scalp; Fresh sea water also adds shine and volume to the hair; Organic lime juice cleanses hair and gives a glossy shine; Extra virgin coconut oil is nourishing and conditioning; Bergamot oil adds shine and gloss and finally Violet leaf and Rose absolute and Cananga oil beautifully perfume the hair.
Verdict: Every time I reach for my DaddyO, I can’t help but start singing ‘daddy, daddy cool, I’m crazy like a fool, what about it daddy cool’ (lol yep I’m bonkers). Anyway LUSH recommends DaddyO for those with blonde or grey hair, but I’d like to add brunettes to that recommendation. It leaves my hair with the most beautiful reflective, glossy shine. I also find it adds a subtle volume and bounce to my hair leaving it looking and feeling super healthy. As for the scent, it’s stunning in your face violets (think of those palmer violet sweeties) that lasts in the hair all day and some. On top of that it’s the most beautiful bright and pearly purple colour and a little goes a long way. I use mine with American Cream conditioner and they go so well together. Definitely my favourite regular use liquid shampoo.
Other interesting facts: Rose absolute and Bergamot oil also have antidepressant properties and are thought to clear the mind and balance emotions. Violet Leaf has relaxing, soothing and inspiring properties and is said to restore the bonds of friendship.

Curly Wurly


Product category: Hair care, semi solid shampoo
Price: £8.60/220g
Contains: Desiccated coconut softens and scents the hair; Fresh organic lemon juice tones the scalp and adds shine to the hair; Linseed infusion is rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals which keep the hair healthy; Fresh Papaya cleanses and adds shine; Fresh Free Range Eggs form a protective and conditioning film on the hair, add shine and strengthen hair (protein content) and can promote new hair growth (vitamin d content); Cocoa butter, Extra virgin coconut oil and Shea butter soften, moisturise and condition; Organic Jojoba Oil cleanses the hair and scalp, protects the hair and improves the condition; Avocado Butter is richly nourishing and softening, adds shine, strengthens and improves hair’s condition; Vanilla absolute and Vetivert oil to beautifully scent the hair and finally Organic extra virgin olive oil strengthens the hair and moisturises the scalp.
Verdict: For those of you who are going to miss Trichomania as much as me, Curly Wurly is a coconutty replacement right up your street. This semi solid shampoo takes a bit of getting used to (the chunks of coconut are a bit of a bugger to rinse out), but the results are so worth it. It has a lovely coconut/vanilla scent that lasts in the hair. This product’s many wonderful ingredients really inject some moisture back into your dry/parched hair from root to tip, while eliminating frizz. It’s also very hydrating for the scalp. I personally only need a tiny amount of conditioner on the ends when I’ve used this, and tend to use Coolaulin for extra coconutty, moisture injecting loveliness. Though American Cream goes equally as well. So if you want seriously soft, hydrated beautifully scented hair, this one is definitely for you.  
Other interesting Facts: Vetivert is known to be restorative, soothing and relaxing.

Trichomania (soon to be discontinued)
(see separate review for details)







New Shampoo Bar
Product category: Hair care, solid shampoo.
Price: £4.65/55g
Contains: Nettle and peppermint infusion stimulates the scalp, encourages healthy hair growth, and helps prevent hair loss; Nettle absolute improves condition of the scalp and hair; Rosemary absolute clears, protests and soothes the scalp and gives shine to the hair; Bay oil conditions the scalp and promotes hair growth; Clove bud oil and Cinnamon leaf oil stimulate hair follicles for healthy hair growth.
Verdict: I’m very excited about this solid shampoo, and have only recently been introduced to it (I received ½ a bar as a sample). I’ve definitely found my favourite solid shampoo (was Trichomania which is being disconned) to keep my coloured hair in excellent condition and can’t stop raving about it. New has a lovely spicy cinnamon/subtle herby scent that’s really stimulating. It doesn’t disappoint as a solid shampoo, it lathers beautifully and lasts so long. I lose a fair bit of hair when washing/brushing, and used to have lovely thick hair (I think it might be a side effect of my meds). Though since using this (over 2 months), my hair definitely feels thicker, stronger and healthier. You get a subtle tingling feeling when you us this product as the beautiful ingredients stimulate your scalp to promote healthy hair growth. The results beautifully scented, soft, shiny and bouncy hair, that feels and looks stronger and healthier. I use mine with American Cream conditioner.
Other interesting facts: Peppermint helps to relieve headaches and boosts circulation. Nettle is also used to relieve joint pain.

Reincarnate
Product category: Hair care, solid shampoo
Price: £3.75/100g
Contains: Red henna which conditions the hair, adds body and shine and revitalizes colour; Rosemary clears the scalp and adds shine to the hair; Fleece flower root infusion contains lecithin which revitalizes and conditions tired lifeless hair; Nettle leaf infusion stimulates the scalp and adds shine to the hair; Rhassoul mud softens, cleanses and de greases hair; Sweet orange oil for fragrance and Irish moss powder which deeply conditions the hair.
Verdict: I’ve got to admit this is not a favourite of mine. The only reason I’m reviewing it is that it’s good for refreshing brunette hair between colours. Reincarnate has a very earthy/spicy (in a fruitcake way) scent, which is personally not for me. As a shampoo I find it a bit drying and difficult to later due to its grainy texture. However used with plenty of conditioner (I use American Cream), it does refresh my colour a little giving it some warm tones, between colouring. Some people really get on well with this product, so maybe ask for a sample to try for yourself (everyone’s hair is different).


Shampoo’s to avoid (known to strip DARKER or BRIGHT hair colours)
Big (semi solid); Seanik (solid); I Love Juicy (liquid); Ibiza Party (retro liquid) and Antiphilitron (retro liquid).
I do use Big, Seanik and Ibiza party now and then because of their beautiful scents and effects, though I thought it was important to highlight that they do strip colour. This list is probably not exhaustive as it’s been a while since I have tried some of the other solid/liquid shampoos.

5 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this review sweetie!!!!
    AWESOME! :)

    I use reincarnate and it's really great on my hair :) (as you said everyone's hair is different )

    I need to try Rehab!!!!
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I forgot, when presenting the new Xmas products, Lush told about their shower gels and said they can also be used for hair.
    (snow fairy and Glogg) do you know how it works and leaves the hair?

    thanks so muchhhhh! :)

    <3 u

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elodie,
    Thanks for the lovely feedback :)
    All of LUSH's shower gels/jellies are fine to use on the hair. They might not feel as moisturising as the shampoos but are great to use now and then as they deeply scent the hair. Ones with a high citruss content or containing sea salt may strip your colour, but i generally don't have a problem with them.
    Sweetie pie goes awsome with American Cream by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah.
    I've only used Daddy-O and New out of these products so I found this review really useful.
    I hadn't thought of getting Curly Wurly as a replacement for Trichomania. It does smell beautiful. I've also never used rehab yet, but I think you may have sold it to me here.
    You clearly put a lot of work into your reviews and it is definatly appricieated so thanks again hunny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kerry thanks hun. I stumbled across Rehab a few months ago, and it's gorgeous teamed with Retread or Coolaulin. Makes your hair feel super healthy and strong, and smells divine! I think i'd go as far to say it's my fav liquid shampoo. DaddyO a close seccond. Though everyones hair is different, so as always i'd reccomend getting a sample or a 100g bottle to try first :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails